Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bathroom Updates On A Budget

I'm on a mission to personalize all 3 bathrooms in my home. My goal has been to get framed mirrors, new light fixtures, paint, tile the floors, replace hardware, and install new faucets and shower fixtures. I've been gradually putting the bathrooms together by adding new items whenever I come across a good deal. Here are my bathroom updates so far...

Master Bathroom (my favorite mirror project)


I had the challenge of 2 mirrors and an electrical socket on one of the mirrors so ripping these out was not going to be easy then I ran into this wonderful blog. I love it! The trim was $45 (cost me $5 with my Home Depot gift card). I used oil rubbed bronze spray paint on the trim to match the light fixtures and 2 coats of polyurethane to top it off. A little help from Liquid Nails and, Viola! WAAAAYYY easier than ripping of the mirrors!



Didn't want to mess with this thing


Before
The light fixtures here are replacements for the yucky brushed nickle, swirly frosted glass lights that came with the house (see Jack and Jill bathroom's before picture below). Lights were $52/each from Restoration Hardware Outlet (marked down from $170 each-a STEAL)

Downstairs Main Bathroom




I give credit to my fearless friend, Rene for coming over with a crow bar, gloves and her game face on as she ripped my big glued and taped mirror from the wall. The mirror shattered and we we were ripping pieces of mirror from the wall. Dangerous, I know. It left a few small holes in the wall that I was able to patch with Spackle. The best part? This mirror cost me $30 on Craigslist and was only 1 inch shorter than the mirror that was glued on AND matches the wood tone of my cabinetry. Other steals in this space:

candle lantern $3.00 from Kohls

light fixture $35 from Ebay

frames and pictures $8/each at Michaels

Just scored a chrome $35 faucet at Ace Hardware this week, that will be installed soon.....



I also tiled over the vinyl floors which was one big DIY adventure that I'll save for another post. The tile is 16" glazed porclein and cost $1.60 a square foot on sale. Whole tile project cost about $200.
Before

During

After





Jack and Jill Bathroom






This was done with the help of my dad. He came out for a Christmas visit and I put him to work. Merry Christmas Dad! He took of the old light fixture, patched the drywall and installed another junction box to get these lights in. Lights were $30/each at SmartBargains.com. Mirrors were $25/each at Ross. Towel hooks $3/each at Lowes.


Before.......




I'm planning on tiling the floors in this bathroom and changing out the faucets, but only when I find a good deal!

No comments:

Post a Comment