Sunday, June 6, 2010

Master Bedroom Facelift




I've been stumped on how to design/decorate/furnish the master bedroom. I really wanted to bring in natural elements and loved the idea of grass cloth wallpaper behind our headboard. The cost of grass cloth and the effort to put it up made me want to come up with a plan b. Here was the plan:

Frame the bed with large fabric panels.
I purchased $5 bi-fold closet doors, much like the ones I purchased for my stairwell art project at my local ReSTORE. I took off the hinges and had 2 panels of wood about 17 inches wide by 70 inches long. I thought I could cover them in a textured fabric, like burlap and mount them to the wall. I found white burlap for $2/yard at a fabric store and purchased 4 yards. I used a staple gun to wrap the fabric around the wood. I attached D rings to the back of the panels and poked monkey hooks into the wall to hang the wood doors.





Change the lighting
I have always loved the Pottery Barn bedrooms with the wall sconces on either side of the bed like this Pottery Barn bedroom


I found 2 brass wall sconces with pleated shades for $10 on Craigslist. I painted over the brass with oil rubbed bronze spray paint ($3 at Walmart) and changed out the lamp shades for $10 linen shades I found at Target.



I mounted the lamps to fabric covered wood boards and had new lighting for $30.





Add wall art
I love the look of having a big piece of art over the bed. I had a mirror that I used over the dresser and I decided to put that between the wood boards.

And the end result:


Total cost for this project was about $40.

1 comment:

  1. I love the change! It adds so much height - but subtly - to the room. I'm so challenged with what to do over our bed - don't want to add another horizonal rectangle. I love this idea.

    ReplyDelete